Moving to Ireland Banner Image

Moving to Ireland

Here’s all you need to know about living, working and moving here

Once you accept a job offer in Ireland, it is important to ensure that your tax is dealt with properly from the start and that your new employer deducts the right amount of tax from your pay. It is also important that you have a bank account set up so that your employer can pay you by direct debit. To ensure that this happens, you will need to do three things:

1 - Apply for your PPS Number

Your PPS Number is your Social Security number and you need one to work in Ireland. To apply for a PPS Number, please click here

You will need the following documents to complete your application:

  • Photographic ID / Passport

  • Letter from your employer in Ireland confirming that you will be working for them in Ireland.

  • Proof of address in Ireland – you can use a copy of your rental agreement with your landlord, or a utility bill in your name in Ireland (e.g. electricity, gas, internet etc.).

2 - Register with Revenue

Register the details of your new job with Revenue’s Jobs and Pensions online service under MyAccount.

3 - Set up a Bank Account

The main banks in Ireland are Bank of Ireland, Allied Irish Bank (AIB), Ulster Bank and KBC. When choosing a bank, try to pick one that has a branch in the city where you will be located. Once you decide which bank is best for you, contact them to open an account. You will need to take the following documents with you:

  • Photographic ID / Passport

  • Letter from your employer

  • Proof of address in Ireland

  • PPS Number

It is advisable to do all of the above 3 things as soon as you accept an offer of a job.

Once you have accepted a job offer in Ireland, finding accommodation is the next big step.

In the short term, rental accommodation is probably your best option until you settle into your new job and location. The cost of rent varies widely by location and is more expensive in the larger cities, especially the capital, Dublin. Because of the high demand for accommodation, it is often allocated on a first come first served basis.

Renting in Ireland

In Ireland, there are 2 options available to people who want to rent:

1 - House share

House share is where you rent a private bedroom in a shared house with other housemates. Sometimes, the owner or landlord will live in the house.

Rent is payable in advance on a weekly or monthly basis from the day you move in, depending on your agreement with the owner/landlord.

On the day you move in, you will be expected to pay a deposit which is usually equivalent to one months rent. This may vary depending on the landlord.

You will need to clarify with the owner/landlord if bills are included in the rent or charged as an extra cost (i.e. bins/waste, electricity, gas, heating, wi-fi, phone, cable TV/Sky, TV licence).

2 - Leasing

This is where you sign a legally binding contract agreeing to rent an entire property for a fixed period e.g. 6 months to 1 year. If you leave the property within the duration of your contract, you will lose your deposit. Always read the terms and conditions of any leasing agreement/contract before you sign it.

Before agreeing to lease a property, you should check what additional costs you will be required to pay. In leasing situations, services for bins, electricity, gas, heating, wi-fi, phones and TV licence are usually the responsibility of the tenant and are not included in the price of the rent.

For more information on renting and your rights as a tenant visit:

Cost of renting in Ireland

Source: Rental Report - 2021 Q2

Average monthly rents in Ireland Q2 2021 (3 bed house):

Dublin City€2,242
Dublin County€1,805
Cork City€1,431
Cork County€1,032
Limerick City€1,222
Limerick County€882
Galway City€1,319
Galway County€975

Searching online for accommodation

The most popular site that people use to advertise and find rental accommodation all over Ireland is Searching on this site will give you an idea of the cost of renting in Ireland.

Using a Letting Agency

For convenience, you can use a letting agent to help you find the perfect home. They will provide administrative, management and other services for the property, but they will charge a fee. Some of the most widely used lettings agents are:

Sherry Fitzgerald:


What will I need?

You may be asked to provide the following information to your landlord/letting agency:

  • Employer Reference on headed paper to prove that you have a job in Ireland.

  • Bank details/reference to show that you are financially secure

  • Previous Landlord Reference

  • Photo ID to confirm your identity (passport/driving licence)

  • PPS number

  • First month’s rent and one-month deposit

Looking for temporary accommodation?

If you need accommodation quickly or are waiting until you arrive in Ireland to look for accommodation, you have the following options: Hotels, Bed & Breakfasts (, or short term apartment rentals on or Vrbo

3 - Estate Agents

Estate agents are helpful in finding accommodation. Companies such as Sherry Fitzgerald have branches nationwide, and can assist you to find property to rent or purchase. Here are some popular agencies around Ireland:

Formatting Your CV for Jobs in Ireland

When applying for jobs in Ireland there is usually a standard CV structure for applicants to follow. It is important that your CV is well presented and easy for the employer to read, as well as being truthful and up to date.

Your CV should be:

  • Clear – organised and clearly presented.

  • Concise – not too long and not too short – 2 pages is standard.

  • Consistent – all formatted in the same manner, using the same fonts

  • Complete – tailored to the industry in question – all information must be relevant

  • Current – CV must be fully up to date

The Structure of a CV

CVs are made up of a number of different sections that contain different kinds of information:

Personal Information

Your full name, full address, telephone numbers (home and mobile) and email address. Some people also include their place of birth, age, gender, a link to their LinkedIn account and a photograph – but these are all optional.

Personal Profile (Optional)

Include a brief paragraph that gives the employer an insight into your personal qualities, skills and experience. This need only be about 3-4 lines.


List your academic history in reverse chronological order. Include dates, names of colleges/institutions and locations. You can also include memberships of professional bodies here.

Further Training (if appropriate)

Depending on your role or your career goals, you may have continued to develop your skills by attending additional training or courses. List any relevant training courses in this section.

Professional Experience

List your previous roles in reverse chronological order (starting with the most recent). Include your job title, employer’s name, dates of employment and industry.

You also need to include your duties/ responsibilities and achievements. Keep the information clear, and use bullet points to list the duties and achievements. Try to make the information as relevant as possible to the job you are applying for.

Hobbies, Interests & Achievements

List a few of your favourite leisure activities, so that the employer can get an idea of the type of person you are. It can be helpful to show hobbies if they reflect qualities which relate to the job. If you are just starting out in the job market, give any evidence you can to demonstrate initiative or practical skills, for example, voluntary work, elected office in a society, member of a sports team or contributor to a college magazine.

List of Referees

Listing referees is optional at the initial stage and you can include “Referees are available on request” instead. However, some employers may request them on a CV. It is important to use at least 2 references that are current and relevant to the sector you are applying to. Make sure to ask your referees’ permission first so they can expect a call.

Some Common Mistakes

  • A lie, even a small one can cost you a job

  • Poor layout – too spread out or too condensed, too many different font sizes and styles

  • Referencing the wrong vacancy or company in your cover letter or CV

  • Not having your CV fully up to date, e.g. employment dates, personal details

  • Jargon and Acronyms – don’t use too many in-house terms that others may not understand

  • Rambling sentences – try to avoid very long sentences

  • Unexplained gaps – if you were travelling, or on maternity leave, please say so

  • CV is too long – using long paragraphs instead of bullet points

For more information on writing CVs and Cover Letters visit our Jobseekers Guide.

Source: Citizen Information – Sending your children to school in Ireland

The Irish education system is made up of primary, secondary, third-level and further education. State-funded education is available at all levels unless you choose to send your child to a private institution. There are also pre-school initiatives to prepare your child for primary school and learn basic skills.

The primary education system consists of 8 years, and although children do not have to enrol until the age of 6, most do so after their 4th birthday. The primary school curriculum in Ireland covers all key areas such as language, mathematics, social, environment and scientific education, arts education including visual arts music and drama, physical education, social personal and health education. The Irish language (Gaeilge) is compulsory for most students at primary and secondary level, however, exemptions are granted for children not born in the Republic of Ireland.

Secondary (post-primary) education in Ireland sees children develop their skills further, as they specialise in subject areas that they enjoy, and can diversify into international languages, various financial or scientific subjects, or other practical studies. They sit 2 major sets of exams – The Junior Certificate and The Leaving Certificate – throughout their time here. Students must spend at least 3 years in the secondary level of education in Ireland before they are allowed to leave the education system.

Third level education in Ireland is optional and consists of Universities, Institutes of Technology and Colleges of Education which allow you to earn a degree or partake in training in a certain area of interest to you, just like any other country. There are third level institutions all over Ireland, and you can pursue a career in almost any sector here. Third level education is supported and subsidised by the government. Ireland uses a system called the National Framework of Qualifications (NFQ) to recognise different levels of qualifications. It has ten different levels ranging from a Certificate right up to a Doctorate. Each of these levels grade all learning from beginner to advanced. It is based on standards of knowledge, skill and competence and it incorporates awards made for all kinds of learning, wherever it is gained.

There are academic support services and alternative programmes available at all levels of the Irish education system for any students who may require special assistance.

Children/Students who arrive in Ireland with little or no English will always be catered for in the Irish education system and will be taught the language. More information on enrolling children in schools can be found here.

Source: Citizen Information – Bringing pets to Ireland

The process for bringing a pet with you to Ireland depends on the type of pet you are bringing, and the country you are arriving from. There are different regulations and requirements for each.

For dogs, cats and ferrets arriving from an EU member state, the animal is required to have an EU Pet Passport, which confirms that:

  • The pet is arriving from an eligible country.

  • The pet is identified by an implanted microchip.

  • The pet has been vaccinated against rabies at least 21 days before travel.

  • Dogs coming from countries other than the UK, Finland or Malta have been treated against tapeworm between 24 and 120 hours before travel. Treatment for ticks is not compulsory but it is advisable to get it at the same time as the tapeworm treatment.

Full information on the EU Pet Passport can be found here, and you can apply here.

Source: Citizen Information – How your income tax is calculated

Tax is charged as a percentage of your income. The percentage that you pay depends on the amount of your income. The first part of your income, up to a certain amount, is taxed at 20%. This is known as the standard rate of tax and the amount that it applies to is known as the standard rate tax band.

The remainder of your income is taxed at the higher rate of tax, 40% in 2020.

The amount that you can earn before you start to pay the higher rate of tax is known as your standard rate cut-off point.

Standard rate cut-off points

You pay 20% tax on all income less than or equal to the following standard rate cut-off points:You pay 40% tax on the balance:
Single person€35,300Balance
Married couple/civil partners, one income€44,300Balance
Married couple/civil partners, two incomes

Up to €70,600

(increase limited to the amount of the second income – see example below)

One parent family€39,300Balance

Example of standard rate cut-off point for a married couple or civil partners with two incomes:

In 2020, the standard rate cut-off point for a married couple or civil partners is €44,300.

If both are working, this amount is increased by the lower of the following:

  • €26,300

  • or

  • The amount of the income of the spouse or civil partner with the smaller income

If one person is earning €48,000 and their spouse or civil partner is earning €27,000:

The standard rate cut off point for the couple is €44,300 plus €26,300. The increase in the standard rate band is not transferable between spouses or civil partners, so the first spouse or civil partner’s tax bands would be calculated as €44,300 @ 20% = €8,860 and €3,700 @ 40% = €1,480. The second spouse or civil partner’s tax bands would be calculated as €26,300 @ 20% = €5,260 and €700 @ 40% = €280.

This information was taken from the Citizens Information website in Ireland.

For more detailed information, please visit: Citizen Information – How your income tax is calculated.

Source: Citizens Information – Moving to Ireland

As soon as you come to Ireland you should register for tax and social insurance by applying for a Personal Public Service (PPS) number.

To apply for a PPS Number, please click here.

You will need the following documents to complete your application:

  • Photographic ID / Passport

  • Letter from your employer in Ireland confirming that you will be working for them in Ireland.

  • Proof of address in Ireland – you can use a copy of your rental agreement with your landlord, or a utility bill in your name in Ireland (e.g. electricity, gas, internet etc.).

If you are non-resident or working abroad, then personal attendance at one of the PPS Number allocation centres is not necessary. Please use the Online Enquiry Form to contact Client Identity Services or LoCall: 1890 927 999. If calling from outside the Republic of Ireland call + 353 71 967 2616 to have the necessary forms sent to you in the post.


Your employer will also deduct social insurance contributions, which are referred to as PRSI (Pay Related Social Insurance), from your pay. They will help you to qualify for contributory social welfare payments such as Jobseeker’s Benefit, Illness Benefit and State Pension (Contributory).

More information on ‘Coming to Ireland – tax and social insurance’ can be found here.

Source: Citizens Information – Equality in the Workplace

The Employment Equality Acts 1998–2015 outlaw discrimination in a wide range of employment and employment-related areas. These include recruitment and promotion; equal pay; working conditions; training or experience; dismissal and harassment including sexual harassment. The legislation defines discrimination as treating one person in a less favourable way than another person based on any of the following 9 grounds:

  • Gender: this means man, woman or transsexual

  • Civil status: includes single, married, separated, divorced, widowed people, civil partners and former civil partners

  • Family status: this refers to the parent of a person under 18 years or the resident primary carer or parent of a person with a disability

  • Sexual orientation: includes gay, lesbian, bisexual and heterosexual

  • Religion: means religious belief, background, outlook or none

  • Age: this does not apply to a person aged under 16

  • Disability: includes people with physical, intellectual, learning, cognitive or emotional disabilities and a range of medical conditions

  • Race: includes race, skin colour, nationality or ethnic origin

  • Membership of the Traveller community.

The Acts also prohibit victimisation or discrimination against a person on the basis of association with another person, providing support to the person, being named as a comparator, acting as a witness on behalf of that other person, or who has given notice of an intention to take any such actions.

Further detailed information in relation to Employment Equality is available from the Irish Human Rights and Equality Commission (IHREC) or Workplace Relations.

Who is Entitled to Child Benefit in Ireland?

Source: Department of Social Protection – Ireland

Child Benefit is payable to the parents or guardians of children under 16 years of age, or under 18 years of age if the child is in full-time education or has a disability.

You need to apply for Child Benefit within 12 months of:

  • The birth of your baby

  • The month the child became a member of your family or

  • The month the family came to live in Ireland

  • Commencement of employment in Ireland.

Please note, you do not need to apply for Child Benefit if your child is born in Ireland and is registered within 6 months of the birth. When you register your child’s birth, if you provide the necessary information about yourself and your child to the Registrar, the Child Benefit Office will contact you within 10 days of the birth registration to arrange your payment.

For further information please visit the Department of Social Protection’s web page on Child Benefit.

Source: Citizen Information – Moving to Ireland – Healthcare options

Public healthcare for people coming to Ireland

If you are a national of the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland, or if you are normally resident in Ireland, you are entitled to receive the same level of health care as Irish citizens. Depending on your income, you may be eligible for a medical card, which entitles you to the full range of medical services at no cost.

If you are not from an EEA member state or Switzerland, you will be entitled to certain services free of charge and you will have to pay for the remainder.

If you are coming to live, work, study or retire in Ireland you can find out more information on eligibility for public health services. If you are coming to Ireland on holiday or for a short stay (for example, on business), you can read more information on health services for visitors to Ireland.

Private healthcare for people coming to Ireland

In addition to the public health system, people in Ireland can avail of a range of private healthcare services. You must pay the full costs of treatment if you opt for private healthcare.

There are a number of private health insurance companies in Ireland. Providers include VHI Healthcare, Laya Healthcare, Irish Life Health and HSF Health Plan (provides cash benefit plans but not in-patient health insurance). As long as you are from the EEA or Switzerland or normally resident in Ireland, you are entitled to the same benefits from your private health insurance with any of these companies as any other Irish citizen.

Since 16 October 2013, up to €1,000 for adults and €500 for children of your private health insurance premium attracts tax relief at the standard rate (20%). This tax relief is deducted at source by the health insurance provider.

Source: Citizens Information – Moving to Ireland

EU nationals do not need a residence permit in order to live and work in Ireland.

You can stay in Ireland for up to 3 months without restriction. If you plan to stay more than 3 months, you must either:

  • Be engaged in economic activity (employed or self-employed) or

  • Have sufficient resources and sickness insurance to ensure that you do not become a burden on the social services of Ireland or

  • Be enrolled as a student or vocational trainee or

  • Be a family member of an EU citizen in one of the previous categories.

When you come to Ireland you do not need to register with the local immigration officer and you do not need a residence card to live here. If you wish to have a record of your residence in Ireland you can register with your embassy of your country in Ireland.

Critical Skills Employment Permits

The Critical Skills Employment Permit replaces the Green Card type employment permit. The permit is designed to attract highly skilled people into the labour market with the aim of encouraging them to take up permanent residence in the State.

Eligible occupations under this type of permit are deemed to be critically important to growing Ireland’s economy, are highly demanded and highly skilled, and in significant shortage of supply in our labour market.

To view the list of eligible occupations visit the Department of Business, Enterprise and Innovation website.

Source: Road Safety Authority (RSA)

Traffic in Ireland drives on the left. Speed limits and modern road signs are designated in kilometres per hour (km/h). Wearing of seat belts is compulsory in front and rear seats. Children must use booster seats or an appropriate child restraint system.

Drivers with foreign driving licences who drive in Ireland are subject to Ireland’s penalty points system, a system designed to save lives and prevent injuries resulting from road crashes and collisions.

Please visit the National Driving Licence Service (NDLS) website to find out how to apply to exchange a foreign driving licence issued by a member state of the European Union / European Economic Area or to apply to exchange a foreign driving licence issued by a recognised state.


Hear real stories from others who have made the move…

Testimonial - Marie Aimee Giard - Team Leader, Uber, Limerick
Marie Aimee Giard - Team Leader,Uber, Limerick

Moving to Ireland from France was an important decision for me professionally. After a varied career in France, I was keen to progress one of my main professional goals, which is to improve my English so I can work my way further up the career ladder. I am eager to learn every day, challenge myself and grow within a company so my move to Uber in Limerick in June 2016 was perfect for me.

I feel that working with Uber has given me the tools to build on my skills as well as learn new ones. While there is more responsibility within my role, there is a great support network within the company.

I was immediately impressed by the friendly atmosphere at Uber; it is like a big family, and that’s really authentic. People trust you, encourage your entrepreneurial mindset, help you to learn and develop your potential. It is fast paced, dynamic and innovative, but in a relaxed environment. I think that culture is down to both the company and the location here in Limerick.

My work hours really suit a work-life balance and, combined with a good salary, allows me to do a lot of traveling. I’m really happy that I made the choice to move to Ireland and I enjoy my life in Limerick. Although it is not a huge city, it is dynamic and you can enjoy a really good quality of life, and a nice lifestyle. It’s a friendly and welcoming city; I can only recommend it!

Emilio Moya Rosa - Senior OQ Co-Ordinator,GSK Dungarvan

When I first moved to Waterford, I knew nothing about the area and didn’t know anyone here. Now, the people I work with have become my family and I love it here.

I grew up in a small village in the Castilla-La Mancha region of Spain and studied in Madrid before moving to Brussels for work. I moved to Ireland three years ago, first to work with a company in Lismore and then to my current job at GSK.

I knew nothing about Waterford before I moved here. It was scary. I thought that I would move home after a week, but I quickly grew to love it. Irish people are very nice, and my colleagues are helpful and always make sure to include me in any plans they have outside of work. The weather may be a little wet, but I am happy.

One of the best things about living in Waterford is hurling. I play corner back for Melleray/Glen Rovers GAA club. My friends back in Spain are very intrigued by this, and when they come to visit me, they often buy hurleys as souvenirs! I also coach spin classes and I found a studio nearby to pursue my love of painting.

Professionally, I am very happy. I like working for a big company as I encounter new problems to solve every day. It’s never boring.

I only live three minutes from work, and last January I was able to buy my own car and who knows, maybe I’ll buy my own house this year?

Testimonial - Emilio Moya Rosa, Senior OQ Co-Ordinator, GSK Dungarvan