The Cover Letter Guide
How to structure your Cover Letter, Cover Letter Templates and more!
Cover Letter Structure
How to build a great Cover Letter to showcase your skills to potential employers. Find out in 4 easy steps!
Step 1: Opening of your Cover note
- Find out the full name of the right person to address your letter to, rather than using the greeting ‘Dear Sir/Madam’ or “Hi/Hey”
- Ensure to include a subject line relating to your application.
Step 2: First Paragraph
- Pretend you are talking to the employer directly.
- How would you introduce yourself?
- How would you summarise your reason for writing?
- What aspects of the job appeal to you?
- Keep your sentences simple and try to avoid over-complicated language.
Step 3: Middle Paragraph
- Outline your knowledge, skills and experience meet the selection criteria for the job.
- Explain how you can make a significant contribution to the organisation.
- Show that you have done your research on the company.
Step 4: Last Paragraph/Sign-off
- Express your interest and enthusiasm for the role.
- Reiterate your contact details and thank them for their time.