An exciting opportunity has arisen for an experienced Senior R&D Engineer to join a leading, multi-national medical device company in Galway. While the role is an initial 12 month contract, the successful applicant will gain extensive exposure to both the product and the wider team, working cross functionally to develop life changing, structural heart products.
As a Senior R&D Engineer, you will be a highly experienced professional in engineering development and have extensive engineering knowledge and skills. You will be a dynamic team player and will work cross functionally with a variety of teams.
- Design, develop, analyze, troubleshoot and provides technical skills during research and / or product development
- Effectively represent the client while interacting with physicians to filter their needs into product requirements and concepts
- Participate in technical innovation across the department
- Identify and mitigate technological risks throughout the design process
- Apply understanding of anatomy & physiology with engineering knowledge in materials and processes to generate feasible designs
- Interface effectively and build relationships with team members, other staff and key technology and component suppliers, both locally and globally
- Play a key role on the product /process /engineering /leadership fronts potentially progressing a project from concept phase into commercialization phase
- Contribute to resolution of technical challenges with existing designs and support portfolio sustaining activities
- Contribute to generation of intellectual property
- Delegate/direct work of experienced engineers
- Provide coaching/guidance to less experienced team members
Key Skills and Experience
- Qualified person to Bachelor/Master’s Degree level 8 in Mechanical, Biomedical or related engineering discipline and with a minimum of 5 years relevant experience.
- Dynamic team player and can work effectively and proactively on cross-functional teams.
- Experienced interfacing with physicians and reducing feedback to device concepts.
- Experienced professional in engineering development with extensive engineering knowledge and skills in some or all of the following: component and system design, materials (polymers and metals), sterilization of medical devices, test method development, design for six sigma principles, CAD (Solidworks preferred), pre-clinical evaluations, physician interactions, knowledge of anatomical use conditions (anatomy, physiology etc.), system requirements development, design control, application of ISO standards for medical devices
- Collaborate across organizational boundaries and take appropriate actions when problems occur
- Good communicator and fluent in English, both in writing and speaking
- High level of enthusiasm and motivation, and the ability to take input from others are desirable
For a more detailed and confidential discussion on this role contact Amy Newell.