The Network and Systems Engineer will apply experience and skill to ensure secure, reliable and efficient operations of the network and server operating environments, voice services, application, and database servers within physical and virtual environments, public and hybrid cloud, and more in a global enterprise and as a member of a global team.
Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Configure routers, firewalls, load balancers, and VoIP equipment to support business-critical communications capabilities.
- Develop/build/administer/support/remediate Linux and/or Windows application, database, and infrastructure servers to meet business requirements.
- Troubleshoot and remediate errors/failures related to applications, network, voice services, storage, and so forth. Perform root cause analysis for major faults.
- Provide support and expertise to other systems and network engineers and administrators, and act as a backup or “secondary” for other areas of responsibility (including, for example, hypervisors or storage)
- Write scripts, playbooks, configuration state files, etc., to automate processes, reporting and remediation, using approved languages and automation processes and tools
- Create and maintain documentation relating to the job function and the environment: architecture, integrations, code, and application settings. Complete knowledge transfer within the team. Mentor other team members.
- Ensure security and compliance of the systems, processes and solutions with internal standards, industry compliance standards and best practices.
- Analyze and report accurately and regularly on performance, gaps, risks, failures, efficiencies, improvements, coverage, licensing, etc.
- Interact with technical and non-technical staff from various business units to assess needs, communicate options, and design and implement suitable solutions.
- Participate in regular on-call duty and perform after hours work as needed to support business needs and meet SLAs.
- Follow team processes; contribute to refinement of processes.
- Other duties as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- Required education / experience
- Ten years’ proven experience delivering complex technical solutions including planning, development, implementation and support
- Subject matter expert in Network (routers, especially Cisco; firewalls, switches) and Systems administration (Linux, Windows, VMware)
- Technically competent in VoIP services configuration and administration, OR a strong willingness and ability to quickly develop these skills.
- Strong working knowledge of general OS, application, database, storage and networking concepts, systems administration practices, etc.
- Strong scripting skills in at least one major scripting language (e.g., bash, python, or powershell)
- Strong experience with virtualization and/or cloud technologies
- Nice to have:
- Working knowledge of public, private, and hybrid cloud technologies.
- Knowledge of Storage Area Networking and network attached storage, and related replication technologies.
- Ability to communicate effectively in the English language verbally and in writing.
- Ability to read and interpret technical standards, technical journals, etc.
You were probably born for this role if:
- You thrive in a fast-paced environment where your hard work can make an impact.
- You’ve got a Can-Do, “do what it takes to do the job well and on-time” attitude; for you, problems are opportunities waiting to happen, and you are happy to help your team-mates when they need it. You are flexible and adaptable.
- You always want to be learning and growing. You read the tech journals and blogs, you have your own test lab where you deploy and learn the things you read about, and you like it!
- Accountability, delivery, and quality are ingrained in your work style.
- You want to work in a team where you are not silo’ed – you get to develop cross-functional skills (e.g., learning more about storage, virtualization, etc.).
- Occasional travel and fieldwork including international travel, therefore employee must possess or can acquire a valid passport.
- Must be legally eligible to work the country in the Republic of Ireland.
- Ability and willingness to work weekends and/or off hours as needed and to participate in a regular on-call rotation and escalation process, to participate in scheduled maintenance activities, to collaborate closely with team members and customers in the Americas, in EMEA, and APAC. Should plan for at least two hours of shift overlap with CST/CDT staff.
- Able to acquire and maintain appropriate Security Clearances, subject to renewal every 5 years.
- Able to work daily in the office during normal business hours
- Physically able to lift up to 50 pounds of equipment.