R&D Engineer II
TE Connectivity (NYSE: TEL) is a $12 billion global technology leader. Our connectivity and sensor solutions are essential in today’s increasingly connected world. We collaborate with engineers to transform their concepts into creations – redefining what’s possible using intelligent, efficient and high-performing TE products and solutions proven in harsh environments. Our 72,000 people, including over 7,000 engineers, partner with customers in over 150 countries across a wide range of industries. We believe EVERY CONNECTION COUNTS – www.TE.com.
Creganna Medical is ranked among the top 10 global companies in the medical device outsourcing industry. The company specializes in the design and manufacture of minimally invasive delivery and access devices for a range of therapies. Serving over 400 companies across 30 countries, Creganna Medical’s customers include the world’s leading medical device and life science companies. Headquartered in Galway, Ireland, Creganna Medical has a global operational footprint with design and manufacturing facilities spanning the U.S., South America, Europe and Asia. http://www.creganna.com/
Creganna Medical is a leading supplier within the medical device industry; Design Services is a rapidly growing business unit supporting our customer’s product development and commercialization needs. We serve customers from early-stage start-ups to large multinational types. We work with customers globally including Ireland, Europe, the Middle East, Asia and the United States. We have successfully developed products in the areas of cardiovascular, peripheral vascular, neurovascular, Structural heart, endoscopy and laparoscopic surgeries. Design Services is divided into two subgroups Advanced R&D and Product Development. This role will be within the Advanced R&D group.
The R&D Engineer will work in Advanced R&D which focuses on technology and innovation, which is tasked with developing next-generation products and technologies within key value drivers for the medical devices business. The candidate will be responsible for catheter component and product design, development and testing. This will also include the development of key technology blocks such as process technology, materials development and product testing. The products developed will be in the following areas (not limited to); structural heart access and delivery systems, neurovascular catheters and smart catheters.
This key position within the Design group and will enable the successful candidate to demonstrate their broad range of research & development skills in a fast-paced dynamic environment. In working on these exciting Research & Development projects the successful candidate will have the opportunity to work with other cross-functional team members and dovetail into all the different elements of taking a product from concept through to commercialization. Based out of our Parkmore facility the successful candidate will report to the R&D Project Manager.
- Work on all elements of the Research & Development of projects from concept generation through to design freeze.
- Design of concepts and prototypes in advance of selecting the most promising solution to take into Design Freeze.
- Use catheter design and simulation tools to optimize next-generation product designs and reduce lead time to achieve first off working prototypes.
- Work closely with Project Lead and prototype group to develop, build and test next-generation product demonstrators.
- Work with both internal and external groups to explore new technologies. Asses in terms of performance, cost and reliability.
- Identify new technology and process equipment, source and procure capital equipment, support installation and lead qualification activities.
- Assist the Project Lead in the development of intellectual property generated through the Research & Development activities.
- Implement leading and cutting edge technologies to provide the optimum design solution.
- Support the Project Lead in liaison with Creganna’s network of Key Opinion Leaders to provide clinically relevant feedback on product designs.
- Liaise with the customer to optimise product design.
- Level 8 Engineering degree or equivalent.
- 3+ year’s industry experience in a medical product development environment.
- Demonstrate product design and development experience, including experience of design review and quality procedures.
- 3 yrs experience of Medical Device design development and experience of parallel design for manufacture.
- Experience in compiling FMEA’s and conducting verifications and validations for medical devices products and processes.
- Experience with engineering tools such as DOE and SPC, and ideally experience using Minitab.
- Experience in the development of test methods and associated product testing.
- Understanding of polymer materials and selection in medical device design would be an advantage.