Video for this job
- Working with Purchasing group to developing the strategic direction of the brand and products in a range of categories through improving the range and quality of purchases.
- Sourcing new suppliers of quality products and negotiating with existing accounts and new suppliers with a view to maximising sales and margin always.
- Selection, approval and management of vendors for the supply of goods for resale completing all contracts and supply agreements.
- Analysing and evaluating purchasing/ sales trends, and identifying and exploiting opportunities and addressing gaps in the product range
- Maintenance of material inventories within agreed KPIs, while minimising excess, obsolete and expired products.
- Generating buying range plans for all categories to meet forecasted demands and sales orders.
- Manage a team of buyers and administrators, to ensure the availability of product to meet sales demand.
- Analysing consumer buying patterns and predicting future trends; regularly reviewing performance indicators with sales.
- Participating in promotional activities of suppliers and organising product training for staff.
- Writing reports and sales forecasts, and analysing sales figures.
- Review customer offerings and refine / develop sustainable customer solutions to provide true points of difference and added value. Find a better way, harnessing creative ideas and promoting agility, in a quality driven “customer focused” environment.
- Training and mentoring staff
- Ensuring all prices are accurately maintained on all IT systems as agreed and negotiated with supplier base.
- Accurately maintaining product and pricing catalogues
- Lead team commitment, flexibility and capability. Foster personal and professional development. Promote learning, respect and support for each other to achieve individual, team and organisational goals.
- Monitor and review performance against agreed plans and budgets, taking prompt and appropriate action to correct any shortfalls in performance.
- Review operating systems, procedures and practices on an ongoing basis, recommending any changes to improve operational effectiveness and efficiency to reduce costs.
As well as previous experience in buying the successful candidate should:
- Be a buying professional with a successful management track record in a busy trading environment
- Be commercially aware, with a thorough understanding of modern progressive purchasing concepts
- Have demonstrated experience of working in a similar role and be able to demonstrate a track record of driving a business forward.
- Experience in delivering range presentations; incorporating a financial and strategic perspective to a varied audience including senior teams.
- Have experience or insight into the Category Management function and work to increase sales through effective category/space management practices.
- Have experience in Range planning – category review process
- Supplier strategy – demonstrate understanding of the process and previous successes
- Ability to work to stock budgets whilst delivering Sales and Margin Budgets.
- Have excellent leadership skills combined with a hands-on approach
- Be customer focused with excellent communication, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Be self-motivated and prepared to be flexible when the occasion demands
- Have a degree or similar qualification in Purchasing / Business / Retail
- Be numerate and IT literate, and advanced with the following software packages (e.g. Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc)