- Reference: 45750
- Job Type: Permanent
- Location: Offaly, Roscommon, Westmeath
- Category: Engineering, Technical & Manufacturing
I have been retained by our client a SME Manufacturing group to recruit for the position of
Production / Operations / Factory Manager to manage/lead all operational activities for their midlands manufacturing plant.
The midlands plant is part of larger group and have 2 other manufacturing plants in NI and UK. The company manufacturers two primary core products and has been developing products and markets with technical or industrial applications outside of their current market and will bring new products to the market.
Scope of role : Direct responsibility for all operational activities within the Midlands site including operational management of suppliers. The role reports to the group Managing Director and you will have 5 direct line reports to you with overall responsibility for all site staff .
- Customer satisfaction: Ensuring customer requirements are met with orders manufactured and delivered on time and to the correct specification and quantity
- Production efficiency: Organising operations to minimise material, direct labour and transport costs
- Factory management: To ensure that factory operations meet all Health & Safety, environmental and other regulatory requirements
- Change management: To actively generate new and improved methods of working and production processes.
Specific operational activities: –
- Operational Processes: Day to day management of the production floor (material, machines, staff) to ensure customer orders are produced and delivered on time. Weekly review of operational metrics and formulation and implementation of remedial / improvement plans
- Stock: Ordering of material balancing the need to meet customer’s orders with minimising stock holding. Stock management – ensure orderly storage and management of material and disposal of slow moving stock
- Staff: Staff training and development
- Regulatory and compliance: Ensure a safe working environment and compliance with healthy and safety and environmental legislation. Deal with any operational issues arising from external reviews – insurance company inspections, HSE, customer quality audits etc. Ensure the Site is tidy and well organised
- Plant and Equipment: Equipment maintenance – working with the maintenance engineer to plan maintenance and equipment upgrades.
- Operational efficiency / lean manufacturing: Implementation of lean manufacturing techniques. Maintain and improve site layout, organisation and workflow to maximise production efficiency
- Financial: Manage operational gross margin to agreed material, labour and transport targets. Management of production overhead costs including utility costs
- Suppliers: Management of suppliers to ensure all materials are received on time and to the expected quality.
Key measures of success
– Customer: On time deliveries / overdue orders
– Financial: Gross margin broken down to material %, labour % and transport %
– Compliance: No ongoing non-compliances
KPI targets will be agreed annually to include the above items
The successful candidate will be given full responsibility for managing the site and meeting agreed KPIs.
Candidate requirements for this position:
A minimum of five years Production or Operations Management experience in a manufacturing or distribution environment. A third level qualification (Degree/HND) in engineering/operations /manufacturing management would be desirable.
The successful candidate will be capable of analysing manufacturing operations and implementing significant improvements. This will require strong analytical skills and the energy and enthusiasm to drive through changes.
Specific skills / experience that would be desirable:-
- Change management in manufacturing
- Implementing and maintaining Quality Management Systems
- Development and implantation of KPIs in a manufacturing site
- Computer literacy particularly in Sage, Excel, Word and MRP
- Exposure to CNC based manufacturing
- Product/manufacturing costing
- Lean manufacturing experience – 5S, Six sigma
- Experience of management in a unionised environment
Our clients plan to interview in Dec for this position, so this process will move quickly.
For a confidential discussion and more information on the role, please contact Mary Mullin on 09064 78104 / 0 and email your cv and cover note to firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information on our Recruitment and HR Services and to see a full list of our available jobs across Ireland, please visit our website www.collinsmcnicholas.ie
Follow us on LinkedIn and connect with our Recruitment Consultants to discuss the latest jobs as well as our job searching tips and videos!