Video for this job
Position Title: Health and Safety Manager
Location: Dublin 14
Overall Purpose of the Job
As the HSE Manager you will be responsible for ensuring the business meets the necessary legislative obligations and drive the continuous improvement of Health, Safety and related Environmental Management in the organisation. You will facilitate the ongoing development of innovative policies and practices to ensure that the business is a leader in the field of Health and Safety Management as well as providing advice, support and guidance at Director and Senior Manager level, on all matters of legal compliance regarding Health, Safety and related Environmental Management.
This role will have responsibility for mitigating risk in all areas across the business and the individual will need to demonstrate that they have a strong HSE and Compliance background with a proven ability to mitigate risk. This is a pro-active and visible role requiring excellent internal and external customer relationship, commercial, supplier management and people skills, with the ability to influence, train and support staff, at all levels within the organisation.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Using a variety of communication methods, provide HSE and Compliance advice and support to the Business on a national basis.
- Ensure that the business meets the necessary legislative obligations and drive the continuous improvement of Health, Safety and related Environmental Management in the business.
- Undertake an organisational role in co-ordinating and embedding a positive safety culture across the business.
- Work in partnership with others to help ensure that health and safety is proactively taken into consideration where relevant, at the planning stage of any new project.
- Direct and manage a team of Health and Safety professionals to provide advice and guidance to the business.
- Undertake and ensure all audits under compliance, technical, quality, health, safety and environment are carried out in accordance with legislative requirements and the company audit plan.
- Lead internal and external business development activities related to HSE and Compliance.
- Manage all incident investigations as required and report in accordance with company standards and Active, enabling the investigation of accidents and compilation of accident data; to co-operate with staff responsible for insurance and other related matters.
- Ensure compliance to all aspects of electricity, gas, refrigeration and oil regulations for the business.
- Provide assistance and support to Operational and Group Departments.
- Provide reports to Senior Management for the relevant committees and boards within the Group.
- Complete project work as requested, providing both concise written reports and undertake presentations on subject matter using PowerPoint.
- Advise all EH&S Training requirements and logistics.
- Responsibility to liaise with clients, contractors and staff.
- Facilitate the ongoing development of innovative policies and practices to ensure that the business is a leader in the field of Health, Safety and related Environment Management.
- Assist senior management as requested.
- Assist with the delivery of business and group objectives.
- Management and administration of various other compliance matters as necessary or as directed by the CEO.
- Working at all times to our company values.
- Organise work of the department and co-ordinating activities of other members of the unit to contribute effectively to implementation of the health and safety and environment strategy of the business.
- Develop and implement plans to maintain ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001 certification.
- Any other reasonable duties as requested by your line manager.
Qualifications and Experience
- Degree or Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety.
- Degree or Diploma in Environmental Management.
- Experience in working with Construction regulations.
- Degree in natural science, social science, health & safety or engineering discipline.
- Lead Auditor Qualification in 14001, 18001.
- Proven experience of holding responsibility for HSE and Compliance in relevant business area environment.
- Leadership experience in a Health and Safety role within a complex organisation.
- Experience in a senior role in health, safety and environment in an environment with complex multi-disciplinary issues.
- Experience in conducting incident investigations and implementing appropriate remedial actions.
- Competence to undertake Compliance/Technical/ISO/OHSAS internal audits
- Experience and knowledge in auditing statutory compliance issues such as gas, electricity, refrigeration, oil, legionella, asbestos, fire.
- Must have a detailed and thorough understanding of both Ireland and Northern Ireland industry regulations and legislation/standards and maintain this knowledge.
- Extensive experience of working within a HSE and Compliance role on a national basis where advice and risk mitigation was fundamental to the overall role while understanding the concept of delivering to an internal customer base.
- Experience in drafting and implementing Compliance procedures and processes relating to Technical, HSE procedures across a wide area of responsibilities.
- Knowledge of different sectors within Technical industry, including retail, government/public, FM, corporate.
- Experience in understanding and supporting operational management in the implementation of technology solutions within a compliance environment.
- Proven track record and ability in demonstrating influencing skills in order to ensure compliance when undertaking auditing role and activity.
- Computer literate in Microsoft Office applications.
- Previous experience delivering in-house training and developing training packages.
- Ability to liaise with appropriate regulatory authorities for Health and Safety, Environment and Fire.
- High level of interpersonal skills with an effective and flexible relational style to ensure influence and credibility with senior managers, staff and trade unions.
- Chartered member of IOSH.
- Ability to develop HSEQC Campaigns.
- Ability to organise, develop and implement Business Continuity/Disaster Plans.
- Organise and complete a business Compliance Management Programme.
- Experience in dealing with Food Safety Management.
- Knowledge of Data Protection and CSRS
If interested, please contact Blaithin O’Shea on 01 66 200 88 or email firstname.lastname@example.org