- Reference: SJ47210
- Job Type: Contract
- Location: Mayo, Sligo
- Category: Engineering, Technical & Manufacturing
Our client based in Ballina, Co. Mayo require a Graduate Mechancial Engineer for a 12 month contract.
The successful candidate will work for a period of 12 months as part of a multi-disciplinary team, on a cross-functional basis on a range of projects which are essential to enabling the organisation to discharge its responsibilities in the vehicle standards area.
This role offers the opportunity for graduate engineers to gain a unique understanding of engineering, specifically in the areas of new vehicle design, legislation and standards. The successful candidate will also have the opportunity to observe and gain an understanding of the EU policy on transportation and vehicle safety and new technologies in vehicle design. In addition to this, the successful candidate as part of their placement will have opportunity to work in different business areas within the organisation.
The role will require excellent analytical and problem-solving abilities and a capacity to undertake robust decision-making in a timely and effective manner. The candidate will be required to undertake effective resource planning of both his/her own time.
The successful candidate will be expected to contribute towards streamlining work processes. He/she will be expected to have a keen interest in his/her ongoing professional development. This will be demonstrated through actively seeking and participating in formal and informal job-appropriate training. He or she will be professionally mentored, be provided with interesting learning opportunities and have their work reviewed by the organisation’s engineers.
The successful candidate will be required to:
- work under their own initiative to contribute towards the daily activities and support staff in the delivery of key policy objectives;
- work alongside engineers to assist in the development and implementation of a range of complex projects;
- assist in the management of a portfolio of projects of a scale and complexity that is appropriate to the role.
- develop their knowledge in vehicle standards and become technically proficient in areas including; emerging technologies/standards/engineering requirements, legislation, and national/ European policy;
- communicate effectively with stakeholders on a range of vehicle standards issues;
- assist in the researching of advancements of modern vehicles, for example, autonomous vehicles;
- assist the Customer Service Team in dealing with the more complex technical queries.
- assist with the processing of permit applications, under the supervision of the engineers.
- research existing safety reports with a view to making clear recommendations on possible safety improvements;
- be an advocate for the promoting work processes and the continuous improvement of existing processes;
- carry out other technical requirements/technical work as required by their line manager.
Main areas of responsibility – general
- Assist in the planning and management of projects in a timely and efficient manner to ensure objectives are met.
- Strive to ensure all deliverables are completed to a high standard (both in terms of technical accuracy, relevance and conciseness) and are completed within agreed timescales under mentorship of their Manager.
- Undertake appropriate research to provide robust and well-thought out justifications for all decision-making if required.
- Work towards developing technical expertise in required areas, and build up requisite levels of knowledge and skills in the competency areas assigned to them.
- Assist in preparing and reviewing national legislation. Develop a good level of expertise in EU and national legislation and policy pertaining to Vehicle Standards.
- Attend meetings, events and conferences on behalf of the organisation nationally and internationally.
- Prepare Regulatory Impact Assessments and consult with relevant stakeholders where directed.
- Develop working relationships with relevant stakeholders. Ensure relevant stakeholders are up-to-date on projects assigned to the successful candidate.
- Professional development through the Performance Management Development System (PMDS).
- Responding to queries assigned to the successful candidate through the query management system.
- Undertaking additional duties as required by management.
Qualifications and experience
- a primary honours degree (Level 8) in engineering (mechanical preferred but other disciplines will be considered);
- one year post graduate engineering experience with some project/contract management experience is desirable but not essential.
- an interest in vehicle mechanics and road safety or a willingness to learn this area and become an expert is essential;
- excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Proficient in use of common Microsoft office software (word, excel, outlook);
- Proficiency in project management, including use of PM software would be an advantage to the role.
- Knowledge of SharePoint and Office 365 not essential but would be an advantage to the role.
- the ability to work effectively with others as part of a team and on one’s own initiative.
For a confidential discussion and more information on the role, please contact Aideen Cummins on 071-9140252 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information on our Recruitment and HR Services and to see a full list of our available jobs across Ireland, please visit our website www.collinsmcnicholas.ie
Follow us on LinkedIn and connect with our Recruitment Consultants to discuss the latest jobs as well as our job searching tips and videos!