Video for this job
The Automation Engineer is part of the Engineering Team with responsibility for the design and installation of robust and world class automation systems and supporting the continued and sustained development and improvement of the Manufacturing process.
The Automation Engineer has responsibility for the identification of automated process efficiency improvements across the production process, seeking solutions and designing, installing and commissioning automated systems in accordance with specification.
The incumbent will exercise their detailed knowledge of process manufacturing, field instrumentation, control system installation and implementation expertise in all of the following project phases: Requirements documentation, detailed design generation, implementation, system integration, testing and on-site start up.
Plans and coordinates technical design and engineering implementation of project work.
- Maintain and develop the automation infrastructure on the site in line with automation best practice
- Investigate and root cause any issues regarding automation and put sustainable counter measures in place with a focus on Zero Automation downtime
- Responsible for leading projects and involved in the design, implementation and support of process activities
- Identification and preparation of proposals for Capital Investments to include full costing’s and return on investment
- Improvement agent across the business
- Responsibility for all production process automation and controls systems including the specification and design, programming, simulation and testing, start-up assistance and training
- Upgrade of automation systems as required across the Board Plant and Plaster Mill and or the wider site.
- Provides technical expertise to maintain, develop, troubleshoot and validate these systems and develop a compliance culture.
- Designs, writes, implements, tests and documents PLC and HMI software.
- Develop networks across the company to identify best practice and fast track efficiency improvements for the rapid development of the automation systems at the site.
- Development of control system validation/testing protocols.
- Specify and purchase process instrumentation, and equipment in accordance with the GIL purchasing policy and in compliance with technical standards
- Develop version control and systems for program/documentation etc
- Manage and support automation projects as identified and assigned
- Installation, testing, and start-up control systems on-site.
- Train operators and engineers on control systems
- Develop and maintain various databases to assist in a lean system of reporting and tracking of various KPI’s.
- Participate in WCM processes and projects as required.
- Responsible for driving WCM standards for automation efficiency improvement across the production process.
- Responsible for the development of the automated process control systems and procedures across the site.
- Become a leading team member of the Engineering Team, adding value and with a real enthusiasm to complete projects on time.
- Minimum 3rd Level qualification in Automation.
- Mechatronics/Instrumentation or Electrical Engineering considered
- Experience supporting PLC, SCADA and HMI systems in a manufacturing background.
- Experience to working with Technical/Electrical drawings and specifications
- Fully Computer literate
- Process driven and attention to detail.
- Proven Project electrical engineering skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
Specific Work Experience:
- 5 years’ experience working directly as an Automation Engineer or a Control Systems Engineer would be preferred
- Good communication skills.
- Effective time manager.
- Proven experience of working within a change environment.
- Project management skills
For more information or a confidential discussion on the role, please contact David Lennon