Associate Director Sourcing & Procurement
Job Summary and Essential Functions:
The Associate Director Sourcing will be responsible to develop & lead the local sourcing strategies within the direct materials supply for manufacturing operations at the facility. Advises local commercial teams on supply market dynamics and leading practices which maximize value, minimize risk, and ensure quality & cost effectiveness. Ensures that the global category strategy is consistently executed within their supply market by leading a team of sourcing managers and/or collaborating with sourcing/category managers and other peers.
- Identifies and resolves unique situations of substantial significance in the sourcing spend under management
- Applies ingenuity and creativity to problem analysis and resolution in complicated and/or novel situations
- Uses independent judgement, sophisticated thought leadership, and development skills to execute tasks and drive the local Sourcing team
- Either directly or through a matrix structure, manages teams of professional level employees responsible for performing sourcing tasks to carry out local sourcing and supply management tasks
- Serve as the SS&P leader for the associated local governance forums which may include Joint Operating Committee and Annual/Semi-Annual Business Review Meetings
- Directs local country market sourcing & supplier relationship activities which serve the needs of the business units.
- Responsible for local contractual agreements, works with internal legal department, and drives any changes that are critical to interest
- Reviews local contracts for key areas of spend; monitor trends/patterns within the spend under management and serves as the primary point for local supply market negotiations.
- Identifies and defines sourcing best practices from both within and outside of the company and ensures best practices are adopted
- Assists with the planning and management of budgets, policies and practices for the sourcing function with significant impact on area operations
- Informs and influences decision making at the management and executive level
- Provides coaching and guidance on job performance and career development to direct reports (if applicable) and provides leadership examples for the organization
- Coaches proficiency on procurement technical skills among sourcing managers and peers
- Leads and directs the local supply market evaluation process by utilizing all available market intelligence, risk, compliance, and financial assessment tools
- Advises and consults on the global Category Management strategy
- Authority to act as the primary relationship manager to the supplier’s local country leadership team
- Responsible for conducting local supplier negotiations using a leader mastery level skill set
- Works effectively with ambiguity to anticipate future local business requirements in complex and/or multiple business unit stakeholder categories
- Develops strategies to meet future demands and to create a competitive supply advantage.
- Executes the local market Supplier Management Program including risk, performance, relationship, and supplier development pillars
Experience and Required Educational Skills:
- Bachelor’s plus 10 years of relevant, progressive experience within procurement, to preferably include 7 years directly in sourcing Pharma/Biotech. OR Master’s plus 8 years of relevant, progressive experience within procurement, to preferably include 5 years directly in sourcing within Pharma/Biotech.
- Prior cGMP experience in biopharmaceuticals, pharmaceuticals, and / or medical device industry is highly preferred.
- Demonstrated experience leading multiple spend categories and strategic sourcing teams
- 2 years or more of supervisory experience and/or demonstrated experience leading a matrix team
- Working knowledge with sourcing contracting tools, ERP’s, and eRFx systems preferred. (Oracle, Zycus, GEP, Ariba, Other)
- Ability to leverage standard business applications for communicating, presenting and analyzing (Word, Excel, Powerpoint)
- Cost modeling knowledge
- Proven business strategy influencer & collaborator
- Excellent verbal and written skills
- Ability to develop detailed business cases
- Ability to build consensus, teamwork, and creativity within a collaborative team with limited supervision