As a Recruiter and Regional Manager with Collins McNicholas since 2006, I have been involved in the recruitment of HR professionals, both senior, generalist and specialist for many years.
During this time, I have worked with a wide variety of companies from SME’s to Multinationals, across all industries. Sourcing and successfully finding the right candidate for each client with their own unique requirements is a challenging but always rewarding process.
Because the role of the HR Manager is so important to every organisation who appreciates and understands that employees are the key to their long-term success, this position is a key hire.
So what are the key qualities that companies should look for when recruiting a HR professional?
Naturally, depending on the level and experience of the role, the requirements of an organisation will vary. However, there are, I believe, identifiable key qualities that every successful HR professional will possess. These are:
- A strong passion and interest in HR coupled with an instinctive awareness of the many functions of HR and their importance within an organisation.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to communicate and lead at all levels in a manner that brings people on board.
- An openness to change with a genuine interest in people combined with excellent listening skills.
- Ability to prioritise daily with highly developed organisational and time management skills.
- Being highly impartial and objective with a deep understanding of the need to appear to all people a person of integrity and trustworthiness.
- Ability to assess quickly the intrinsic cultural and working environment unique to the organisation.
In my experience, while levels of skills will always vary according to organisation’s requirements – these key qualities will always be consistent in successful HR professionals.
Executive Search Manager,
Collins McNicholas Recruitment & HR Services