Your cover letter is often the first impression you make on a hiring manager, therefore it is essential to include the right information.
It’s an opportunity to introduce yourself and it should make a hiring manager want to find out more about you. A cover letter is not as structured as a CV and so gives an opportunity to be more personable.
Below is a quick list of things you should keep in mind when preparing a cover letter.
- It needs to be sent to the correct person – try to find out the best person to address the cover letter to rather than just saying ‘To whom it may concern.’ This could be the direct hiring manager or a contact in HR. A small bit of research should enable you to find a contact name.
- It should show that you have done some research on the company/job you are applying to – include a reference to the company or industry in the cover note. This could be mentioning something you read about the company or even just mentioning that you are aware they are an industry leader.
- It should be tailored to the specific job you are applying to – a generic cover note will not do. It needs to highlight your skills and experience that are relevant to the job. You can use the job specification to find the key requirements and then highlight where your experience matched this.
- It should be kept short and concise – the cover note should be kept to a single page. You don’t need to highlight everything that is already covered in your CV. Just draw attention to some key areas.
- It should show why you are interested in that particular job/company, and why they should be interested in you – highlight your enthusiasm for the position/company, explain the main reasons why you are interested in this particular job, and sum up by briefly explaining why you are the right person for this job and how you can help the company.
Once your cover letter is ready, check it for spelling mistakes and make sure that it is well-formatted.
Don’t forget to thank the hiring manager for considering your application.
Collins McNicholas Recruitment & HR Services Group