- Reference: GJ43821
- Job Type: Permanent
- Location: Limerick
- Category: Engineering, Technical & Manufacturing
You will be responsible for the maintenance, reliability improvements and redesign efforts of the mechanical and electro-mechanical subsystems to improve medical diagnostic instrumentation, cell analysis and lab automation instruments. Works closely with Electrical, Systems and Software Engineers to troubleshoot, determine root cause of product failure and provide timely solutions. Works independently and ensures that schedule milestones are met while applying technical insight and judgment for technology assessment and problem solving.
- Work with Quality, Service and Manufacturing groups to investigate and correct design deficiencies and component obsolescence in existing diagnostic instruments.
- Prepare cost estimates and design products to meet cost targets. Executes the design of major mechanical subsystems.
- Hold design reviews for modules and subsystems. Participate in design reviews of other team members.
- Utilize Design for Six Sigma and other structured processes to ensure robust product performance and predictable project execution.
- Completes design projects within established schedules and budgets.
- Leads or participate in design reviews. Thoroughly assess the ability of proposed designs to meet specified requirements, including manufacturability.
- Interacts closely with software, systems, and electrical engineering functions to develop comprehensive solutions to design problems.
- Generates engineering drawings and specifications to division standards, including ASME Y14.5M-1994 Dimensioning and Tolerancing.
- Conforms to the requirements of ISO and cGMP standards for the design and development of medical devices.
Skills, Experience and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or associated discipline required with a minimum of 5 years engineering experience.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience designing high duty cycle automated equipment including robotics, small part conveyance, component manipulation/assembly, machine vision, pneumatic actuators and control systems required.
- Minimum 4 years of experience of solid modeling CAD applications with large assemblies.
- Strong technical judgment and problem solving skills.
- Product development experience in a regulated industry, with a strong record of delivering products to market is required.
- Demonstrated application of engineering principles and techniques, including statics, strength of materials, heat transfer, fluid mechanics, and kinematics and dynamics as applied to automation machine design.
- Ability to perform design analysis of automated systems including predicted life, structural and operational factors of safety, harmonics and system optimization.
- Demonstrated knowledge of medical or scientific diagnostic equipment including pipetting, microliter volume liquid handling, decapping/recapping of small containers, contamination prevention and sample isolation preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to facilitate collaborative design with in-house and out-source parts in North America, Europe and Asia.
For a confidential discussion and more information on the role/company please email your CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org