- Reference: SJ43441
- Job Type: Permanent
- Location: Derry, Donegal, Ulster
- Category: Information Technology
Our client based in Donegal require a COBOL Application Developer for a permanent position.
As a COBOL Application Developer, you will be predominantly involved in developing business solutions by creating new and modifying existing software applications. You will be a primary contributor in designing, coding, testing, debugging, documenting and supporting all types of applications consistent with established specifications and business requirements to deliver business value.
- Design, implement and maintain COBOL applications within all phases of the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC)
- Develop, test, implement and maintain application software working with established processes
- Communicate effectively with other engineers and QA
- Establish, refine and integrate development and test environment tools and software as needed
- Identify production and non-production application issues
- Identify opportunities to fine-tune and optimize applications of COBOL developed projects
- Provide technical support and consultation for COBOL application and infrastructure questions
- Serve as a mentor to less experienced developers
- Develop new and/or enhance existing application or system code as assigned or provided in technical specifications
- Review of requirements and/or systems analysis documents for completeness
- Creation/involvement in documented designs following agreed to design patterns and standards
- Performing design, coding, unit testing and ensuring conformance to the team’s development process and standards.
- Work as part of a dynamic team with a focus on developing applications leveraging multiple tools, languages, processes, and technologies.
- Responsible for ensuring delivery of technical artifacts for each project
- Support the Technical lead with estimation and project Schedule.
- Coordinate activities with other technical and functional areas as required
- Support the QA team during testing via defect fixes, code deployment, clarifications
- Working with the Deployment Lead, peer developers to complete various project deployment activities
- Adherence to and advocacy of environment standards
- Adhere to proper use of source control
- B.Tech / MCA degree or equivalent work experience
- 2+ years of experience working as a COBOL developer
- Proficient in COBOL, DCL (or JCL)
- Proficient in Mainframe OR VAX-VMS OR AS400
- Proficient in RDB OR DB2 and SQL Queries or similar relational database technologies
- Excellent in designing (technical design), coding, debugging, deployment and warranty support
- Experience in applications development and should have a good knowledge on Systems Development Life Cycle (SDLC)
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Attention to detail, strong hands on, flexible with assignments, and can-do attitude
- Exposure to Unit/System/Integration Testing to support CQA group
- VB and Java, Web Services knowledge will be added advantage
- Should have a strong sense of commitment and responsibility
- Self-starter/high energy, deadline-driven, dependable and can deliver results with aggressive deadlines
- Flexible to work in shifts on need basis
For a confidential discussion and more information on the role, please contact Aideen Cummins on 071-9140252 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information on our Recruitment and HR Services and to see a full list of our available jobs across Ireland, please visit our website www.collinsmcnicholas.ie
Follow us on LinkedIn and connect with our Recruitment Consultants to discuss the latest jobs as well as our job searching tips and videos!